Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Rear wheel assembly preview

Now, usually, I don't do this but uh... go 'head on and break 'em off with a lil' preview of the remix...

Bam!



Got to keep the same upright. At the moment I can use the same design on the RF, RR, LR, and LF. Of course this is before even playing with suspension geometry at all so things can change. But at least I haven't had to completely redo things. If I can use the same upright and same hub that saves at least a few hours (3-5?) of programming, setup, and tool changeover time. With CNC time at $65-120 / hr, that adds up quickly!



A small (currently aluminum) adapter piece fits the radial caliper mounts on the upright, and meets up with the DynaPro Single. Yes, it's single shear. I'm generally not proud of such things. I'll evaluate how much that twists later in FEA but given that everything is packaged pretty tightly it might not be bad. The adapter piece is also pretty simple and machineable. Three setups tops, all use a standard vice and quick stop. The upright for that matter shouldn't take more than 5, again with a standard vice setup. No special fixtures! Nice large corner radii in the pockets, with short length-to-tool-diameter ratios should mean high metal removal rates.



Right now I have the hub drive flange set up to accept a standard tripod housing, in this case from Taylor Race. They make good stuff! Craig and Scott are also very helpful.

The brake disc is a bit bigger than I thought. F'in heavy. They have a drilled one but I am wary of those. Still lighter than the vented front rotor, but not by much! I'll have to think of a good way to direct some cooling to it... as well as maybe evaluate something smaller. That's for tomorrow night.

No comments: