Wednesday, January 28, 2009

#@*& Calipers!!

Decided to go back and make a little more accurate version of my DynaPro CAD model. Good thing I did! As it turns out I had gotten a dimension wrong. I knew that caliper clearance to the wheel looked too good.

With the revision, my minimum clearance from the caliper to the interior of the wheel shrunk down to about 0.125" This had been a recurring theme on our FSAE cars, though I believe there were instances of clearance between caliper, upright and wheel being less than that. Even negative!

That's a bit close for comfort, not knowing how much wheel and bearing deflection to expect! That was using the DynaPro caliper spec'd for a 0.81" wide ULHP-30 rotor at 10.75" OD... made some changes and went with a 0.75" wide UL-30 rotor at 10.50" OD and I get up to 0.25" clearance, which I'm more comfortable with.

The caliper is spec'd for a 0.81" wide rotor, but I can't see this being much of an issue. Pads and disc wear down anyway!

On the plus side, the caliper looks damn good now. Even cut some threads on the hub (to be suppressed for any real work) to illustrate...

No comments: