Saturday, October 17, 2009

Caster change a la Lola

Been quiet around here. Work has been intense lately! Also, I'm working on some 'big stuff' for this car which is kinda long term.

Anyway. Wound up taking apart, moving, and re-assembling a 1968 Lola Indy car with a couple guys. Pretty slick little car. Fit and finish wasn't all that great in some places, but it had some cool design features (including an aluminum monocoque and all wheel drive!) and modularity.

Hadn't thought of changing caster this way...



So I borrowed the idea...



There were a few other crafty design features I may borrow. Most of all I'm very keen on having everything from the main roll hoop back be modular and easy to service. One of the biggest pains in the ass of all of our FSAE cars was getting the engine and assorted drivetrain components in and out.

The challenge will be getting the rear end of the car to be modular and serviceable, while maintaining high axle-to-axle stiffness and keeping the engine semi-stressed.

5 comments:

Zhefei said...

Hi Tom,
I'm surprised you don't get more comments, considering your (still occaisional) presence on the FSAE boards. Just letting you know it's nice to have you posting again.

Anyway, that is pretty nifty. Any more pics of that car?

Jersey Tom said...

I'll have to see if I have any others.. but my camera phone is pretty crappy. Lola T150 I believe is the model. Cool little car.

Ed Pratt said...

Whoa! finally a new post! I thought we'd maybe lost you to Akron for good!

Ed

C said...

They say a midget on a giant's shoulders can see much further than the giant.

Jersey Tom said...

They do indeed