Sunday, October 25, 2009

Another damper mount option

Credit to Dave F for pointing this out.

I may be able to get some better packaging options by using a second billet bulkhead to mount the damper to.


That may give me some much improved options for load paths, both through the bellcranks and into the bulkheads themselves. As an added bonus I might be able to shoe-horn in a damper with 3" of travel. At the moment I am using one with 2" of travel.

Why one damper length over another? There are some pros and cons related to overall motion ratio (inches of wheel travel to inches of damper travel). I'll get into that later if I haven't already. I have to sit down and think about that, figure out if a MR > 1 or < 1 is better in terms of minimizing the effect of damper friction.

In any event, there are some issues associated with putting a 2nd bulkhead back there. Namely, it might not be great for bringing in that front roll hoop bracing. May also make getting fasteners in there a bitch. We'll see.

No comments: