Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Some of the best words in motorsport engineering

I started getting into suspension design and vehicle dynamics in late 2005 during an independent study (upright redesign). Going on early 2011, I'm just now getting comfortable with how to understand things at a total vehicle, "systems" level of engineering.

That's not to say I understand all the causes, effects, and relationships in tire / vehicle dynamics. That is far from the case. Read it again: it has taken me 5-6 years to figure out how to think about and understand things. How fucked up is that? 5+ years to learn how to learn. Admittedly this is on top of some specifics, and what I'm free to share in this blog probably amounts to 5-10% at best, and all public domain information.

As I had been alluding to in a previous post, to stay afloat in this business I think you need to be damn good at figuring shit out yourself - or at least having the balls to try. Anyway, the obvious question is - "What the hell takes so damn long?" For me - and I'm sure I've mentioned this before - it's been the lack of a teacher or an "all-knowing source" that has all the answers. Yes, even Google falls short sometimes. Unfortunately some engineers take what they hear for gospel (to a degree I suppose this is classroom mentality). As such, we come to some of the best words in motorsport engineering, and ultimately what has kinda become my MO. Stumbled across it when I opened up an old copy of Tune to Win, in the Preface of all damn things - which I probably never even read in college:

I am fully aware that much of what I have to say in this book is subjective. I wish that my knowledge and wisdom were such that this were not so. Many readers are going to disagree with my interpretations, conclusions, and recommendations. I offer no apology. In each case I will put forth my personal best shot on the subject at the time of writing. I reserve my right to change my thinking at any time.

Our knowledge of any field whose title includes the word dynamics should be constantly expanding. This is because, particularly in motor racing, we approach a complex subject from a base of abysmal ignorance and also because, in a field defined by compromises, knowledge gained in one area can and does modify our thinking in related areas.

IMO, that mentality is as important and relevant now in 2011 as it was in 1978.

It does make me think that it's a bit of a shame there's no definitive - or close to definitive - guide for all this stuff. Hell I don't think there's any publication that comes remotely close to touching tire data engineering well. This is good for my job security!! As much as I like the works of Smith, Milliken, and Rouelle... I feel as if each has their own strengths and weaknesses, but even in conjunction don't quite grasp it all. This is particularly true as I learn well with many examples anchored in hard data. I have yet to read over Neil Roberts' book.

At this point I am going on 4 years into a career in motorsport engineering, presumably with another 5+ ahead of me. Maybe one day I'll write a book - I'd enjoy it.

Until then, I should probably get back to designing this fucking F1000 / Formula B car, yeah?

5 comments:

Chris said...

Hey Tom,
I was wondering if you have read "Race Car Engineering" by Warren Rowley? ( http://www.rowleyrace.com/ )
I've read Smith, Miliken bro's, Haney, Staniforth, and others but I've found Rowley's book to be my favorite "all-encomposing" vehicle dynamics book. I only managed to stumble on it's existence when looking into Bill Mitchell's suspension design/analysis software. I like it because it has the readability of Smith's books, but goes into great technical detail in a lot of areas... very good tire section up front (for a layman like me).
It's my go-to text, but I haven't found anyone else who has heard of it! (no affiliation though, blah blah blah)
Obviously you won't be able to blog about the details of you new job, but I was wondering if you were able to disclose your new role at Penske (ie you doing tire stuff for them, you a suspension guy, etc.)?
Hope you still find time for that F1000!

Jersey Tom said...

I haven't heard of Rowley's book. May have to check it out!

At Penske I'll be doing a lot of tire data analysis & engineering... think some sim development work... see where it goes from there.

Jersey Tom said...

And for what it's worth, it's actually Bill Milliken and his *son* Doug, not brother :)

I've worked with Doug a fair amount. Haven't met Bill yet.

Chris said...

Thanks, probably should have known that!

Must be nice being able to ask God how the Earth was created :)

Chris said...

ps, I sent an email to the address listed in your profile.