Thursday, October 23, 2008

Brakes and Diff

Heard back from one of the Rally engineers at AP regarding some brake options that would work. Good stuff. Also picked up the brake spreadsheet from Race Tech magazine (good suggestion, Dan). Close to working out what bore sizes I'll need. Getting further along on the brake system packaging is going to be key. Rotor and caliper are going to define some of the hub and upright dimensions, and from there I can get an idea of where I can put a-arms. Since I don't feel like spending money just yet I should be able to get away with using the demo version of OptimumK for some initial looks at kinematics.

Some comments from Billy Wight as well. From what I recall having looked at the original DB-1 spring availability and damping rates I still feel it may be a good option for this application. I'll have to go back over all my notes from '06 and '07. It has a hell of a lot of adjustability. I believe Ohlins also has some data or a damper rate plotter for the TTX-40 on their website to get an idea for where that's at. If I were to buy "proper" racing dampers, even 2-way adjustable R/C dampers are expensive as all hell. We shall see.

Differentials are another good point, and exceeding the max TBR of the ATB. It will be close. Running a 60" track width... to stay within the 4:1 TBR the following options are available
  • CG at axle height (~11.25"), TLLTD +10% forward of static axle loads. Potentially lot of U/S
  • Drop ride height, stiffen springs, CG at 10", TLLTD +5% forward of static axle loads. Might be possible.
  • Compromise, 10.5" CG height, TLLTD +7.5% forward.
That all assumes zero downforce, out of some very slow corner. We shall see...

No comments: