Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Aero

Good way to finish off lunch break..

A co-worked stopped by my desk yesterday. Said co-worker happened to be involved in the aero development for a certain high-downforce FSAE team for the past couple years. How convenient. Talked a bit 'bout this and that, and how aerodynamically inefficient the 312B airfoil arrangement is. I'll have to come up with some compromise between a more "modern" platform and the historic one. I'm stubborn that I want to have something that looks like a late 60's F1, but I'm more stubborn on developing hardware superior to the competition. Aren't I an ass? Checked the GCR and there is a spec for maximum front and rear wing width but nothing on plan area...

In any event I know I can get a heap of mechanical grip and pull some trick stuff with the tires, which will hopefully make up for some of the aero deficiencies. Spoke with both the current Hoosier and former Goodyear sportscar guys regarding tire choices. I got a few options which will be ridiculous grip. Right tire is the ace of spades...

No comments: