Friday, November 19, 2010

Time to figure out what the hell I was working on back in March

...and we're back - hopefully with some momentum. You may be wondering what I've been up to for the past 8 months. To put it mildly, 2010 hasn't been a great year. For a while I was busy with work - which isn't a bad thing, but didn't lend itself to much spare time. Late summer I had some woman issues... things inexplicably went to shit. The combination of depression and anxiety really killed any productivity at work or home. This went on for a couple months. Finally had to get a grip on things, make some changes, get back to the things I enjoy in life: Sarcasm, working out, racecar vehicle dynamics, martinis, and music. In any event, here I am. Enough of my personal life though...

Tough picking this up after so long! I barely even remember what I was working on. Apparently I got started on some exhaust routing (yes yes I know about cylinder matching, this is more just roughing out where things might go).
Some things to tackle, in no particular order:
  1. Packaging and 'parametrization' of the front suspension with the 2 bulkhead design
  2. ...same for the rear suspension
  3. Some legit high-level suspension engineering. I've worked hard to get things truly parametric such that I can move key points around and have the mechanical bits rebuild successfully. If you've done any amount of solid modeling, you can appreciate that it isn't a trivial undertaking! I'd like to start firming up some ideas of rates and kinematic curves though. Ultimately a big part of that is going to be picking an initial tire selection and building in enough adjustment to work with radial or bias slicks, etc. More on that in the next post.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Good to see you back! I only signed up a month or so ago, but have read most of your posts a few times over as I'm looking to build an FB of my own over the next few years.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit handicapped in the realm of engineering experience and calculations, but following with baited breath.

Keep up the great work...