Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bits of drivetrain

Got to working a bit more on the rear wheel assembly and drivetrain layout. I'm still on the fence for differentials, though I'm leaning toward the chain-drive Salisbury offered by Williams Racing Development. The other option is the chain-drive Quaife ATB from Taylor Race Engineering. In any event I'll be using tripod joints on both ends of the axle.

Craig Taylor's FSAE and DSR tripod housing is billet steel. Bullet proof in that application, but also weighs in at about 1 pound. There are some alternatives for Formula Fords that are billet aluminum with steel sleeves to take up the load from the tripod rollers. We played around with this on the '07 FSAE car, but the trick is getting the sleeves to stay in place. I suppose I could bond them in there. In any event, if I remember right it saves about 1/4 lb per unit.

In other news... got camber? I do. Got all the wheel mates set up properly so I can adjust track width and maximum static camber fairly easily. I'm assuming I won't throw more than -4 degrees of camber at the tires. Certainly won't on belted bias slicks, but I'm keeping the option open to run radials as well.

No comments: